Saturday, July 17, 2010

Knifes can hurt

So one of the things I have always been curious about is knifes. I love their utility and their beauty. I have a wonderful knife that I purchased several years ago at the Freeport Knife Company. I don't have much info (I am looking into it because I think it is a great knife) about it.

The one thing that has been lacking is my up keep of the knife including my sharpening of it. To rectify this situation I decided to get a sharpening stone to bring my knife back to its former glory. So I stopped into Kiss the Cook and look at what was available. I stood there for awhile looking at the different stones when a helpful staff member started to give me a demonstration on how to sharpen and maintain a knife. His recommendation was on a very reasonable priced stone (I appreciated that he did not try to sell me the highest price item there).

Upon arriving home I decided to start sharpening knives. The first one I tackled was my knife and it took a little bit to get the burrs to form (it had been awhile since I had it sharpened and we do use them a lot). Once the burrs formed on one side it was pretty quick to get the other side to form as well. Then I started to hone the blade and all was going well until I went a little wild with the knife where I almost slit my left wrist.

This action scared Patti quite a bit, I was nonplussed since I had sharpened the knife well enough to cause a very clean (except for the stone grit) wound.

Another skill learned, and a lesson as well (don't go honing a knife like a madman).

No comments:

Post a Comment